soft-shell crab exportersoftshell crab exporterVietnam crab exporterVietnamese mud crab export

PM Anutin calls urgent meeting after Deep South attacks

SUNDAY, AUGUST 23, 2026
PM Anutin calls urgent meeting after Deep South attacks

PM Anutin called an urgent security meeting after 51 bomb, arson and property-damage incidents were reported across Thailand’s Deep South.

Prime Minister and Interior Minister Anutin Charnvirakul convened an urgent meeting of senior security officials on Sunday morning after 51 bomb, arson and property-damage incidents were reported across Thailand’s three southern border provinces overnight.

The meeting was held at Military Air Terminal 2 at Wing 6 before Anutin departed at 8.05am on Sunday (August 23, 2026) for Nan province to inspect flooding in the North.

Those attending included Defence Minister Lt Gen Adul Boonthamcharoen; Interior permanent secretary Arsit Sampantharat; Department of Provincial Administration director-general Narucha Kosasivilize; Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Pana Claewplodtook; and Army Chief of Staff and Internal Security Operations Command secretary-general Gen Chaiyapruk Duangprapat.

The officials reviewed the security situation in Narathiwat, Pattani and Yala following attacks at multiple locations on Saturday night.

Yala placed on highest level of preparedness

Narucha said the Department of Provincial Administration had received reports on the incidents since Saturday and had instructed officials to reinforce personnel and raise security measures across the three southern border provinces.

Yala, in particular, had been placed at the highest level of preparedness, he said.

“Personnel in the subdistrict protection teams have been instructed to exercise the utmost caution in securing their areas. Residents were also advised from last night to remain at home and avoid affected areas to prevent further incidents,” Narucha said.

PM Anutin calls urgent meeting after Deep South attacks

“Officials have been told to maintain strict security at their bases. At the same time, the Department of Provincial Administration and relevant agencies have deployed personnel to track down those responsible and are proceeding in accordance with security plans and measures for the southern border provinces.”

Asked whether restrictions on people leaving their homes would remain in place until those responsible were apprehended, Narucha said any such measures would be implemented under the plans of the relevant agencies.

He said the Fourth Army Region was responsible for controlling and managing the situation.

Narucha said authorities were awaiting an official report on casualties, although he acknowledged that the number of incidents across the three provinces was substantial.

Asked whether the simultaneous attacks were intended as a symbolic act or to communicate a particular message, he said intelligence agencies had issued periodic warnings and passed the information to operational units in the area.

The incidents appeared to have been prepared in advance, with those responsible spreading their personnel across a wide area, he said. All units had therefore been instructed to maintain heightened vigilance and continue operating at the highest level of readiness.

Fifty-one incidents reported across 21 districts

The Internal Security Operations Command Region 4 Forward Command said the incidents began at about 8pm on Saturday (August 22, 2026) and involved bombings, arson and damage to government and civilian property.

A total of 51 incidents were reported across 21 districts in Narathiwat, Pattani and Yala.

Narathiwat accounted for 22 incidents across 12 districts: four in Chanae, one in Si Sakhon, one in Waeng, three in Bacho, one in Mueang Narathiwat, one in Cho-airong, five in Ra-ngae, one in Sungai Kolok, two in Tak Bai, one in Yi-ngo, one in Rueso and one in Sungai Padi.

Preliminary reports said two civilians were injured in Narathiwat.

Pattani recorded 11 incidents across six districts: three in Yarang, two in Yaring, three in Nong Chik, one in Sai Buri, one in Thung Yang Daeng and one in Khok Pho. No injuries were initially reported.

The command reported 18 incidents across three districts in Yala. Its district breakdown listed eight in Than To, six in Bannang Sata and two in Raman. No injuries were initially reported.

Security forces inspect sites and collect evidence

ISOC Region 4 Forward Command said security personnel were inspecting and assessing each affected location, securing the surrounding areas and assisting residents and others affected by the incidents.

Officials were focusing on preventing further harm while gathering information and evidence for legal proceedings.

The Fourth Army Region commander was monitoring developments closely and had instructed all units to accelerate inspections, secure affected areas, assist residents and restore normal conditions as soon as possible.

Personnel were also instructed to perform their duties carefully and give the highest priority to public safety.